Sunday, March 25, 2012

Algorithm needed

We are in the process of converting our existing in-house asp web sites to
Sharepoint. Our existing web site has many PDF's, images, etc. These all
reside on the server in a Folder\file. Since Sharepoint now a database
driven architecture, I was wondering if anyone could assist me with some sor
t
of estimate of how much disk space I will need.
I know that Sharepoint stores images, PDFs, etc as BLOBS in the database. I
have no idea of the algorithm or conversion process used.
We will be using SQLServer 2005 database.
Can anyone help me with a formula or algorithm that I can use to estimate
the size of my database when I convert my text files, pdfs, images to
SQLServer 2005 blob files?
Thanks Tomblob is binary storage
the size stored is the same as the source file.
a 1Mb file will consume 1Mb in the database too.
(+ some bytes for the row information, ids etc... this overhead is small)
"Tom" <Tom@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:C10E3198-693D-4845-B89C-C00578FD6C47@.microsoft.com...
> We are in the process of converting our existing in-house asp web sites
> to
> Sharepoint. Our existing web site has many PDF's, images, etc. These all
> reside on the server in a Folder\file. Since Sharepoint now a database
> driven architecture, I was wondering if anyone could assist me with some
> sort
> of estimate of how much disk space I will need.
> I know that Sharepoint stores images, PDFs, etc as BLOBS in the database.
> I
> have no idea of the algorithm or conversion process used.
> We will be using SQLServer 2005 database.
> Can anyone help me with a formula or algorithm that I can use to estimate
> the size of my database when I convert my text files, pdfs, images to
> SQLServer 2005 blob files?
> Thanks Tom|||Jéjé.
Are you saying the size is the same whether its a File, PDF, or image?
ThanksJéjé
"Jéjé" wrote:

> blob is binary storage
> the size stored is the same as the source file.
> a 1Mb file will consume 1Mb in the database too.
> (+ some bytes for the row information, ids etc... this overhead is small)
>
> "Tom" <Tom@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:C10E3198-693D-4845-B89C-C00578FD6C47@.microsoft.com...
>
>|||Jj means the size of an image value in the database will be the same size
as the source, plus some overhead. SQL Server doesn't know or care about
the content of data stored in image/varbinary/binary columns.
I don't know much about Sharepoint but I understand the product optionally
has full-text search capability, which can contribute to storage
requirements.
Hope this helps.
Dan Guzman
SQL Server MVP
"Tom" <Tom@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:6CEFCA87-3EA6-4505-BD2B-B4DE26FD75D0@.microsoft.com...[vbcol=seagreen]
> Jj.
> Are you saying the size is the same whether its a File, PDF, or image?
> ThanksJj
>
> "Jj" wrote:
>|||you are right, if you index the content, then there is the indexation
overhead too.
but its the same way if you index the document from the disk or from the
database, the result is the same and the overhead is near the same too.
Maybe sharepoint store more metadata information, but again, the size of
this metadata is small.
and Yes, SQL Server store the content as is, its a byte storage, there is no
compression, no format changes.
so the size of the source file doesn't change.
"Dan Guzman" <guzmanda@.nospam-online.sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
news:OpSh1kxxGHA.3440@.TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
> Jj means the size of an image value in the database will be the same
> size as the source, plus some overhead. SQL Server doesn't know or care
> about the content of data stored in image/varbinary/binary columns.
> I don't know much about Sharepoint but I understand the product optionally
> has full-text search capability, which can contribute to storage
> requirements.
> --
> Hope this helps.
> Dan Guzman
> SQL Server MVP
> "Tom" <Tom@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:6CEFCA87-3EA6-4505-BD2B-B4DE26FD75D0@.microsoft.com...
>

No comments:

Post a Comment